Pages

Search This Blog

Great Eat-spectations is my outlet for sharing recent news that sparks my interest (and hopefully yours), tasty recipes that I have tried, fun food facts, and fascinating articles for you to enjoy!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Oh My!

A dinner party invitation is a great opportunity to bake seasonal favorites and have your friends help you eat it all! Obviously, I chose to contribute dessert because I have a sweet tooth. Since strawberries and rhubarb are in season and at their peak of flavor I thought this sweet and sour crisp would make a great addition to our meal. I love this crisp served hot or cold; as dessert or breakfast and sometimes I take seconds and thirds.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


Ingredients:
2 cups rhubarb (cut off the ends and slice into nickel sized pieces)
2 cups strawberries (cut off the stems and slice into a similar size as the rhubarb)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 water
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (keep cold until use)
Cinnamon- as needed

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine your strawberries, rhubarb, brown sugar and water in a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the flours, oats, and sugar and mix well.
4. Add the butter to the sugar and flour, mix with your hands until everything is well combined and resembles pea-sized pieces. *Do not over mix*
5. Add the sugar and flour mixture to cover the top of the strawberries and rhubarb.
6. Sprinkle cinnamon onto the crisp topping and place in the oven.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the crisp is golden brown.
8. Let it cool for 30 minutes and then DIG IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment